[Openstack-operators] deprecation of allow_duplicate_networks

Salvatore Orlando salv.orlando at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 06:43:57 UTC 2015

Good morning Sam,

As you say, your requirement cannot be satisfied today. The option you
mention provided a nice workaround but did not fully solve your problem.
I think in order to satisfy it Neutron could either:
1) Specify this on a per-network setting in Neutron
2) Enable VIF usage tracking grouping it by networks and apply a limit of 1
3) A combination of the previous two where VIF usage limiting is enforce
only on selected networks

I think #2 alone would satisfy your requirement.

On the other you could have also your requirement satisfied by adding
something in nova, but since allow_duplicate_networks is being deprecated
I'm not sure it makes sense to reintroduce something which is semantically
similar.

At this stage - since Mitaka dev cycle just started - I would suggest to
file a Neutron RFE bug [1] if you have not already done so.

Salvatore

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/neutron/policies/blueprints.html#rfe-submission-guidelines