[Openstack-operators] Insert an entry into the instance action list

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Mon Sep 21 21:40:57 UTC 2015

On 09/21/15 at 05:15pm, Tim Bell wrote:

>The instance action list is a very useful tool for our end users to see what
>has gone on with their VMs. Working with people in teams means that
>sometimes one person does not get to hear what another one has done and so
>raises helpdesk cases like "one of the VMs was rebooted".
>

>Are there functions where
>

>-          Either an admin or a team member can insert a record into the
>instance action list ?

There is no such capability in Nova.  Since the instance action list is
intended to provide an accounting of what API actions have been taken on
an instance I'm curious what use case you have in mind for manual
insertion of records?

>-          When performing an operation such as 'nova reboot', is there a
>message option to create more than just '-' in the message column  ?

As things are coded currently the message column will only be filled out
in case of an error, in which case it should have the exception message.
Messages could be added for success cases as well, but the column is not
intended for users to leave notes.  That could be a feature request
which would likely result in a new field being added for that purpose.