[Openstack-operators] Milti-site Keystone & Galera

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:00:00 UTC 2015

On 09/08/2015 04:44 PM, Jonathan Proulx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm pretty close to opening a second region in my cloud at a second
> physical location.
>
> The plan so far had been to only share keystone between the regions
> (nova, glance, cinder etc would be distinct) and implement this by
> using MariaDB with galera replication between sites with each site
> having it's own gmcast_segment to minimize the long distance catter
> plus a 3rd site with a galera arbitrator for the obvious reason.

I would also strongly consider adding the Glance registry database to
the same cross-WAN Galera cluster. At AT&T, we had such a setup for
Keystone and Glance registry databases at 10+ deployment zones across 6+
datacenters across the nation. Besides adjusting the latency timeout for
the Galera settings, we made no other modifications to our
internal-to-an-availability-zone Nova database Galera cluster settings.

The Keystone and Glance registry databases have a virtually identical
read and write data access pattern: small record/row size, small number
of INSERTs, virtually no UPDATE and DELETE calls, and heavy SELECT
operations on a small data set. This data access pattern is an ideal fit
for a WAN-replicated Galera cluster.

> Today I was warned against using this in a multi writer setup. I'd planned
>   on one writer per physical location.

I don't know who warned you about this, but it's not an issue in the
real world. We ran in full multi-writer mode, with each deployment zone
writing to and reading from its nearest Galera cluster nodes. No issues.

Best,
-jay