[Openstack-operators] Hypervisor Tuning Guide

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Wed Oct 28 03:02:28 UTC 2015

We had a great Hypervisor Tuning Guide session yesterday!

We agreed on an initial structure to the guide that will include four core
sections (CPU, Memory, Network, and Disk) and common subsections to each.
The etherpad[1] has this structure defined and during the session, we went
through and added some brief notes about what should be included.

Another agreement was that this guide should be detailed. It should have
specific actions such as "change the following sysctl setting to nnn"
rather than being more broad and generic such as "make sure you aren't
swapping". One disadvantage of this is the guide might become out of date
sooner than if it was more broad. We felt this was an acceptable tradeoff.

Our current plan is the following:

1. We're going to leave the etherpad active for the next two weeks to allow
people to continue adding notes at their leisure. I'll send a reminder
about this a few days before the deadline.

2. We'll then transfer the etherpad notes to the OpenStack wiki and begin
creating a rough draft of the guide. Brief notes will be elaborated on and
supporting documentation will be added. Areas that have no information will
be highlighted for help. Everyone is encouraged to edit the wiki during
this time.

3. Once a decent rough draft has been created, we'll look into creating a
formal OpenStack document.

We're all very busy, so there are no definitive timelines for completing
steps 2 and 3. At a minimum, we'll continue to touch base with this during
the Summits and mid-cycles. If there's enough interest, we could try to
schedule a large block of time to do a doc sprint during one of these
events.

Thanks,
Joe

1: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/TYO-ops-hypervisor-tuning-guide