[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] Min libvirt for Mitaka is 0.10.2 and suggest Nxxx uses 1.1.1

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Oct 7 11:13:12 UTC 2015

Wheezy-backports
> > >                    provides new enough libvirt for people who wish to
> > > 		   stay on Wheezy
> > >
> > > The min distros required would thus be Fedora 21, RHEL 7.0, OpenSUSE
> > > 13 SLES 12, Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty LTS)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Daniel
> > >
> > > [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/231917/
> >
> > Isn't RHEL 7.1 just an update stream on RHEL 7.0? It seems a little
> > weird to keep the 1.1.1 support instead of just going up to 1.2.2.
>
> Yes & no. There are in fact two different streams users can take with
RHEL.
> They can stick on a bugfix only stream, which would be 7.0.1, 7.0.2, etc,
or
> they can take the bugfix + features stream which is 7.1, 7.2, etc. They
can't
> stick on the bugfix only stream forever though, so given that by time Nxx
is
> released
> 7.2 will also be available, we are probably justified in dropping
> 7.0 support.
>
> The next oldest distro libvirt would be Debian Wheezy-backports at 1.2.1.
> If we are happy to force Debian users to Jessie, then next oldest after
that is
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with 1.2.2.

Although Red Hat is no longer supporting RHEL 6 after Icehouse, a number of
users such as GoDaddy and CERN are using Software Collections to run the
Python 2.7 code.

However, since this modification would only take place when Mitaka gets
released, this would realistically give those sites a year to complete
migration to RHEL/CentOS 7 assuming they are running from one of the
community editions.

What does the 1.1.1 version bring that is the motivation for raising the
limit ?

Tim