[Openstack-operators] [nova] Min libvirt for Mitaka is 0.10.2 and suggest Nxxx uses 1.1.1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 10:55:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 11:46:58AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> In the Liberty version of OpenStack we had a min libvirt of 0.9.11 and
> printed a warning on startup if you had < 0.10.2, to the effect that
> Mitaka will required 0.10.2
>
> This mail is a reminder that we will[1] mandate libvirt >= 0.10.2 when
> Mitaka is released.
>

> Looking forward to the Nxxxx release, I am suggesting that we target
> a new min libvirt of 1.1.1 for that cycle.
>
> Based on info in
>
>    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix
>
> this will exclude the following distros running running Nova Nxxx
> release:
>
>  - Fedora 20 - it will be end-of-life way before Nxxx is released
>
>  - RHEL 6 - Red Hat stopped shipping Nova on RHEL-6 after Icehouse
>             and base distro only supports Python 2.6
>
>  - OpenSUSE 12 - this was end-of-life about 6 months ago now
>
>  - SLES 11 - base distro only supports Python 2.6
>
>  - Debian Wheezy - Debian Jessie is current stable, and Wheezy-backports
>                    provides new enough libvirt for people who wish to
> 		   stay on Wheezy
>
> The min distros required would thus be Fedora 21, RHEL 7.0, OpenSUSE 13
> SLES 12, Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty LTS)

If we want to be slightly more aggressive and target 1.2.1 we would
additionally loose RHEL-7.0 and OpenSUSE 13.1.  This is probably
not the end of the world, since by the time Nxxx is released, I
expect people will have moved to a newer minor update of those
distros (RHEL-7.1 / OpenSUSE 13.2).

Regards,
Daniel