[Openstack-operators] openstack kilo cinder ISSUE

Ignazio Cassano ignaziocassano at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 09:38:38 UTC 2015

Hi everybody, I solved this issue myself but I would be sure this is a
supported solution.

When kvm compute nodes start a a vm , they change the img file ownership.
This behaviour can be modified modifying /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf file and
setting:
user = "root"

# The group for QEMU processes run by the system instance. It can be
# specified in a similar way to user.
group = "root"

# Whether libvirt should dynamically change file ownership
# to match the configured user/group above. Defaults to 1.
# Set to 0 to disable file ownership changes.
dynamic_ownership = 0

I start qemu with uid root because the original image ownership is "cinder"
and compute node does not know this user (but since the nfs file system is
exported with no_root_squash , root is able to modify the image).
I disabled dynamic_ownership because I do not want the owner of the image
become root when the instance is shut-off.
Regards
Ignazio