[Openstack-operators] [VMware][neutron]nova-network

gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Mon Oct 5 08:05:11 UTC 2015

Le 2015-10-04 23:27, Adam Lawson a écrit :
> Hi Gilles, ESXi uses linuxbridges or are you referring to a multi
> hypervisor scenario? Curious you know the names in advance.......

Hi,

EXSi / vSphere use their own network stack, I use a dvSwitch.

I'm not currently on a multi-hypervisor config, but that's a goal.
I have started a POC with just vSphere to validate the interoperability.

To know the bridges names, simply watch on the network node after
creating the networks.
Here is my network and subnet creation :
# neutron net-create --shared --provider:network_type vlan
--provider:physical_network physvlans --provider:segmentation_id 2005
data
# neutron subnet-create --no-gateway --enable-dhcp --name data-subnet
--allocation-pool start=10.105.134.245,end=10.105.134.249 data
10.105.134.243/22

Then, after some seconds :
# brctl show
brq48bf07ce-6e          8000.005056bc6a06       no
eth2.2005
                                                        tapf18ab703-c1

So, I have to create a portGroup in my vSphere dvSwitch, with the name
brq48bf07ce-6e.

Eth2 is my VLAN trunk interface, attached to the br-int portGroup, in
the same dvSwitch.

The problem I had for several days was that you need the Neutron
linuxbridge plugin agent on the compute node, even if I thought it was
not necessary,
with VMware, the compute node is just a proxy to vCenter, it does not
need local bridges as with KVM.
But without the linuxbridge agent, nova will just bind the instances to
br-int (like the default config integration_bridge says)

So, perhaps it is a collateral effect, not really wanted, but it's
working !