[Openstack-operators] [keystone] Removing functionality that was deprecated in Kilo and upcoming deprecated functionality in Mitaka

Steve Martinelli stevemar at ca.ibm.com
Mon Nov 30 18:26:08 UTC 2015

This post is being sent again to the operators mailing list, and i
apologize if it's duplicated for some folks. The original thread is here:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/080816.html

In the Mitaka release, the keystone team will be removing functionality
that was marked for deprecation in Kilo, and marking certain functions as
deprecated in Mitaka (that may be removed in at least 2 cycles).

removing deprecated functionality
=====================

This is not a full list, but these are by and large the most contentious
topics.

* Eventlet support: This was marked as deprecated back in Kilo and is
currently scheduled to be removed in Mitaka in favor of running keystone in
a WSGI server. This is currently how we test keystone in the gate, and
based on the feedback we received at the summit, a lot of folks have moved
to running keystone under Apache since we’ve announced this change.
OpenStack's CI is configured to mainly test using this deployment model.
See [0] for when we started to issue warnings.

* Using LDAP to store assignment data: Like eventlet support, this feature
was also deprecated in Kilo and scheduled to be removed in Mitaka. To store
assignment data (role assignments) we suggest using an SQL based backend
rather than LDAP. See [1] for when we started to issue warnings.

* Using LDAP to store project and domain data: The same as above, see [2]
for when we started to issue warnings.

* for a complete list:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/removed-as-of-mitaka

functions deprecated as of mitaka
=====================

The following will adhere to the TC’s new standard on deprecating
functionality [3].

* LDAP write support for identity: We suggest simply not writing to LDAP
for users and groups, this effectively makes create, delete and update of
LDAP users and groups a no-op. It will be removed in the O release.

* PKI tokens: We suggest using UUID or fernet tokens instead. The PKI token
format has had issues with security and causes problems with both horizon
and swift when the token contains an excessively large service catalog. It
will be removed in the O release.

* v2.0 of our API: Lastly, the keystone team recommends using v3 of our
Identity API. We have had the intention of deprecating v2.0 for a while
(since Juno actually), and have finally decided to formally deprecate v2.0.
OpenStack’s CI runs successful v3 only jobs, there is complete feature
parity with v2.0, and we feel the CLI exposed via openstackclient is mature
enough to say with certainty that we can deprecate v2.0. It will be around
for at least FOUR releases, with the authentication routes
(POST /auth/tokens) potentially sticking around for longer.

* for a complete list:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/deprecated-as-of-mitaka

If you have ANY concern about the following, please speak up now and let us
know!

Thanks!

Steve Martinelli
OpenStack Keystone Project Team Lead