[Openstack-operators] OPs Midcycle location discussion.

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:56:28 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

The Product WG is finalizing our mid-cycle plans and I wanted to confirm
the conclusion of this thread to bring into that discussion...

Reviewing the numerous responses here, it seems like the majority opted for
option #1 (one 'official' ops mid-cycle but not precluding regional ones)
and, in this specific instance, the 'official' one is the one happening in
Manchester.  Would you agree with this summary?

If we want to attempt a hub/spoke model (e.g. start etherpad-based
conversations at the 'official' mid-cycle but continue to build on those
topics at the regional events) then we can also discuss ideas on how to
help with the effort of summarizing discussions and topics.

Thanks,
Shamail

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Clayton O'Neill <clayton at oneill.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Erik McCormick <
> emccormick at cirrusseven.com> wrote:
>
>> > 2) More technically we'll need to address the challenge of local
>> > sound, how to we ensure all the mostly spontaious talk in a large work
>> > session makes it to remote participants.  Passing a mic is a bit
>> > cumbersome and hard to enforce, while mic'ing the room to properly get
>> > ambient sound isn't likely something we can do without significant
>> > professional help.
>> >

>> This is a technical issue that needs dealing with for sure. Passing a
>> mic is absolutely not practical, so it would need to be some sort of
>> ambient thing. We can't even get people to consistently go to a mic
>> during Q&A at the end of summit presentations. I've seen enough
>> teleconferencing systems that cover large boardroom settings to know
>> that such things exist, but I have no specific knowledge of what they
>> are, if they can be rented, or how much they cost. That will require a
>> lot of digging into.
>

> A key difference between the Ceph summit and the Ops Mid-cycle appears to
> be that the Ops Mid-cycle is at least an order of magnitude bigger.
>
> For a good amount of the Philly and Palo Alto mid-cycles there were 200ish
> people in a single room.  Audio was a problem even for people sitting in
> the room at times.   I think this is beyond “large boardroom” size.

Shamail Tahir
t: @ShamailXD
tz: Eastern Time