[Openstack-operators] Measuring how fast is my Cloud with OpenStack

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Nov 24 18:46:04 UTC 2015

How fast can be measured in a variety of ways:

- How quickly a VM can be spawned and become available ?
- How quickly it runs once it is available ? How many X workunits/second can be achieved with N cores ?

Rally will help with the 1st case. For the second case, it is important to choose an appropriate benchmark for your intended workload.  Equally, it needs to be viewed statistically... we see significant performance variations in a single cloud from both hardware generations and loaded hypervisors. Defining the best way to measure this is not easy  (but I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has cracked it....)

Tim