[Openstack-operators] [Scale][Performance] <nodes_with_someting> / compute_nodes ratio experience

Dina Belova dbelova at mirantis.com
Wed Nov 18 09:56:07 UTC 2015

Dear operators,

yesterday we (Performance Team) had weekly IRC meeting
<http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/performance_team/2015/performance_team.2015-11-17-15.00.html>,
one of the things on board to discuss was nova-conductor performance issue
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/remote-conductor-performance> raised by
Kris Lindgren (GoDaddy).

There are still things to investigate and several suggestions about nature
of this behaviour, but one of the questions/ideas raised was "If the
conductor nodes to compute nodes ratio was ok?".

In fact I never saw any recommendations on safe enough ratio for conductor
nodes or networking nodes or whatever nodes vs compute ones.

As providing OpenStack community with understandable recommendations and
instructions on performant OpenStack cloud deployments is part of
Performance Team mission, I'm kindly asking you to share your experience on
safe cloud deployment ratio between various types of nodes you're having
right now and the possible issues you observed (as an example: discussed
GoDaddy's cloud is having 3 conductor boxes vs 250 computes in the cell,
and there was an opinion that it's simply not enough and that's it).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Dina