[Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators][osops][tools-generic] Coding Standards/Coding Linters for tools-generic

JJ Asghar jj at chef.io
Tue Nov 17 00:03:55 UTC 2015

NOTE: I get what I'm about to propose will open a HUGE can of worms, but
we need it, so I'll start the conversation.

We had some initial discussion and thoughts on coding standards when we
first started this project. It got shot down, but not before 	Christian
Berendt came up with review[1].

If you don't know, bashate[2] is a pep8 coding standard for bash. I
think it's a great starting point for our tools-generic repo.

Are there any objections or concerns with this? If there isn't any,
voiced in a timely fashion, I'll take the action item of getting the
review re-enabled.

To the can o'worms: I think we should probably set up linters for any
python, ruby, bash, etc scripts also. It's hard to cargo cult these from
other projects in the OpenStack ecosystem; which I understand can be
different per different project. This can be a religious debate, and I
want to acknowledge that people feel strongly about this; but we all
need to come together to get this project off the ground. I'd like to go
as _simple_ as possible, then we can add more opinionated styles, if
desired, as our project grows.

I propose people post different standards here[3] and when we have our
next meeting we vote to figure out what we should have. If you can't
attend the meeting please put +1s by what you'd like and we can take
that in for consideration.

Please if you have any concerns, questions, thoughts don't hesitate to
reach out.

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/229029
[2]: https://github.com/openstack-dev/bashate
[3]: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/osops-coding-standards