[Openstack-operators] [DefCore] Request for comments: Is booting Linux VM required for OpenStack interoperability?

Egle Sigler egle.sigler at rackspace.com
Mon Nov 16 21:52:14 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

DefCore committee would like to hear your input on this issue: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/244782/
The issue is not really vendor specific. At the heart of the issue is this question: for interoperability reasons, should certified OpenStack powered compute clouds be able to boot a Linux VM? And if so, would OpenStack based clouds running only Linux based containers be excluded? How about bare metal clouds?

Please comment, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Egle Sigler

DefCore Committee Co-Chair

DefCore sets base requirements by defining 1) capabilities, 2) code and 3) must-pass tests for all OpenStack products. This definition uses community resources and involvement to drive interoperability by creating the minimum standards for products labeled "OpenStack."

Our mission is to define "OpenStack Core" as chartered by the by-laws.

How to get involved in DefCore:

Find us on IRC (chat.freenode.net): #openstack-defcore

Submit, review, comment: https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/defcore,n,z

Join our weekly meetings on IRC: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/DefCoreCommittee#Meetings

New to DefCore?  Some pointers:

Intro to DefCore with heavy references to Dr. Who http://www.slideshare.net/markvoelker/defcore-the-interoperability-standard-for-openstack-53040869