[Openstack-operators] [nova] FYI, local conductor mode is deprecated, pending removal in N

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Nov 12 18:53:52 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2015-11-12 10:35:21 -0800:
> Mike Dorman wrote:
> > We do have a backlog story to investigate this more deeply, we just have not had the time to do it yet.  For us, it’s been easier/faster to add more hardware to conductor to get over the hump temporarily.
> >
> > We kind of have that work earmarked for after the Liberty upgrade, in hopes that maybe it’ll be fixed there.
> >
> > If anybody else has done even some trivial troubleshooting already, it’d be great to get that info as a starting point.  I.e. which specific calls to conductor are causing the load, etc.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> +1 I think we in the #openstack-performance channel really need to
> investigate this, because it really worries me personally from hearing
> many many rumors about how the remote conductor falls over. Please join
> there and we can try to work through a plan to figure out what to do
> about this situation. It would be great if the nova people also joined
> there (because in the end, likely something in nova will need to be
> fixed/changed/something else to resolve what appears to be a problem for
> many operators).

Falling over is definitely a bad sign. ;)

The concept of pushing messages over a bus instead of just making local
calls shouldn't result in much extra load. Perhaps we just have too many
layers of unoptimized encapsulation. I have to wonder if something like
protobuf would help.