[Openstack-operators] [Large Deployments Team] [nova] Cells v1 attach/detach blueprint

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 10 22:18:31 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 10:47 AM, Mike Dorman wrote:
> We met with nova last week [1] and did there is some support for merging
> cells v1 patches, provided they are covered by tests.
>
> So for the attach/detatch patch [2], there’s a nova cells + neutron job
> [3] that’s being worked on in order to cover that functionality.  So
> getting that test in place is the first step toward merging this one.
>
> If you have experience with Devstack and/or gate testing, I’d encourage
> you to help review that test so we can move forward.
>
> Thanks!
>

> [1]
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/nova/2015/nova.2015-11-05-21.00.log.html
> _[2] _https://review.openstack.org/#/c/215459/
> _[3] _https://review.openstack.org/#/c/235485
>

> From: Mike Dorman <mdorman at godaddy.com <mailto:mdorman at godaddy.com>>
> Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM
> To: OpenStack Operators <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
> <mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>>
> Subject: [Openstack-operators] [Large Deployments Team] [nova] Cells v1
> attach/detach blueprint
>
> I reached out to nova today to see what is the best way forward on this
> patch [1].  mriedem had created a blueprint skeleton for this already [2].
>
> It sounds like it’s unlikely that nova would accept it, because it will
> require a new CI job [3] and it goes against the philosophy of not
> adding to the v1 code base.
>
> They suggested we add it to the nova meeting agenda [4], by which I hope
> to get to a definite “yea” or “nay” on if this can go forward.
>
> It’s tomorrow (Thursday 11/5) 2100 UTC, #openstack-meeting.  Please
> attend as you’re able.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

> [2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/cells-v1-interface-events
> [4] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Nova#Agenda_for_next_meeting

I've got the cells + neutron test job config passing after some devstack
updates and 5 new skips for network scenario tests that deal with
floating IPs that cells appears to not be handling. I haven't yet dug
into what the scenario test / floating IP issues are though, but I was
going to propose those as adds to the rc file in the nova repo, then use
that as a base dependency for a project-config change to add a job to
the experimental queue.

It should be noted that cells v1 doesn't support the os-server-events
API which is key for stability with nova + neutron in gate testing, so I
think that would be a barrier to cells + neutron as a voting job in nova
(eventually).

Matt Riedemann