[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Tom Cameron Tom.Cameron at rackspace.com
Mon Nov 9 20:06:57 UTC 2015

>I would not call that the extreme minority.
>I would say a good percentage of users are on only getting to Juno now.

The survey seems to indicate lots of people are on Havana, Icehouse and Juno in production. I would love to see the survey ask _why_ people are on older versions because for many operators I suspect they forked when they needed a feature or function that didn't yet exist, and they're now stuck in a horrible parallel universe where upstream has not only added the missing feature but has also massively improved code quality. Meanwhile, they can't spend the person hours on either porting their work into the new Big Tent world we live in, or can't bare the thought of having to throw away their hard earned tech debt. For more on this, see the myth of the "sunken cost".

If it turns out people really are deploying new clouds with old versions on purpose because of a perceived stability benefit, then they aren't reading the release schedule pages close enough to see that what they're deploying today will be abandoned soon in the future. In my _personal_ opinion which has nothing to do with Openstack or my employer, this is really poor operational due diligence.

If, however, a deployer has been working on a proof of concept for 18-24 months and they're now ready to go live with their cloud running a release from 18-24 months ago, I have sympathy for them. The bigger the deployment, the harder this one is to solve which makes it a prime candidate for the LTS strategy.

Either way, we've lost the original conversation long ago. It sounds like we all agree that an LTS release strategy suits most needs but also that it would take a lot of work that hasn't yet been thought of or started. Maybe there should be a session in Austin for this topic after blueprints are submitted and discussed? It would be nice to have the operators and developers input in a single place, and to get this idea on the radar of all of the projects.

--
Tom Cameron