[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Tom Cameron Tom.Cameron at rackspace.com
Mon Nov 9 15:50:17 UTC 2015

On a personal level, supporting the same release of an open source project for 5 years is something you should pay for...dearly. If operators have customers that are pinned to Juno for some reason I couldn't imagine right now, and they're willing to pay us to support it, then great!

But I think we need to very tightly scope what support means- Absolutely no back or forward porting. The features you have now are frozen in time. Also, they need to be tightly pinned to the OS distro repo versions of packages so we don't have to care about fixing critical vulns in stuff we don't maintain and can't control. This basically means they'll be paying us to make sure they can upgrade distro packages for security reasons and that OpenStack will keep functioning, and to file & patch upstream OpenStack bugs.

Effectively this means they're settling for less value for their money if they remain on Juno for the full 5 years, whereas customers using newer versions of operators' OpenStack offerings will be getting new development and features for the same support dollars (which is a good way to market new versions to them, BTW).

My $0.02

--
Tom Cameron