[Openstack-operators] [NFV][Telco] Summit summary and weekly meeting schedule

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Wed May 27 19:01:47 UTC 2015

Hi all,

The Telco Working Group ( https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TelcoWorkingGroup ) had a 90 minute working session and a brief slot within OPNFV day of 30 minutes during the summit. I've provided a (very) brief summary of each below and provided links to the relevant etherpads for anyone who is interested. The upcoming meeting schedule is at the end of this email.

Summit Summary
==============

OPNFV Day
---------

We were granted 30 minutes to lead a brief discussion at the end of the Open Platform for Network Function Virtualization (OPNFV) community day about what the telco working group is and isn't as well as highlight some concerns about overlap in scope and mandate with OPNFV and how we can better work together. Notes from this session were recorded here:

* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/opnfv-yvr-telcowg-update

Product Working Group
---------------------

I spent some time in one of the Product Team sessions ( https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ProductTeam ) where the discussion centered around how they as a group can collate the use case and requirement output of these existing groups in a more cohesive way. Notes from this session were recorded here:

* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ProductWG_xProjectSession

Working Session
---------------

During the working session we spent the first half having a catch up session on the current processes we have in place including the new workflow draft, what we like and don't like, and how we proceed from the discussion on Monday with the OPNFV group. At the middle of the session we broke into smaller groups to focus on individual use cases and/or requirements and get more people involved in direct conversation with each other while I individually walked anyone interested through bits of the process they were struggling with including git.

We had breakouts on:

* Bring-up/instantiation ("orchestration"), including who provides virtual network function manager.
* Fault management - service monitoring requirements (hardware, cloud, application - hooks needed in the platform)
* Service availability via "multisite" / multicloud. Media / signalling transfer. Networking implications?
* Multiple VLAN support on the interfaces of a VM
* Multiprotocol Label Switching support

Notes from the working session were recorded here:

* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nfv-meeting-agenda

Meeting Schedule

Upcoming meetings are scheduled as follows:

Wednesday 3rd June 2015         1400 UTC         #openstack-meeting-alt
Wednesday 10th June 2015         1900 UTC         #openstack-meeting-alt
Wednesday 17th June 2015         1400 UTC         #openstack-meeting-alt
Wednesday 24th June 2015         1900 UTC         #openstack-meeting-alt

As listed all meetings are in #openstack-meeting-alt on irc.freenode.net, you can also find us lurking in #openstack-nfv.

Thanks,

Steve