[Openstack-operators] [new][app-catalog] App Catalog next steps

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Sat May 23 14:29:04 UTC 2015

[This message has been sent to the dev list in addition to the
operators list as this project has significant value for both groups]

I want to start off by thanking everyone who joined us at the first
working session in Vancouver, and those folks who have already started
adding content to the app catalog. I was happy to see the enthusiasm
and excitement, and am looking forward to working with all of you to
build this into something that has a major impact on OpenStack
adoption by making it easier for our end users to find and share the
assets that run on our clouds.

The catalog: http://apps.openstack.org
The repo: https://github.com/stackforge/apps-catalog
The wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/App-Catalog

Please join us via IRC at #openstack-app-catalog on freenode.

Our initial core team is Christopher Aedo, Tom Fifield, Kevin Fox,
Serg Melikyan.

I’ve started a doodle poll to vote on the initial IRC meeting
schedule, if you’re interested in helping improve and build up this
catalog please vote for the day/time that works best and get involved!
http://doodle.com/vf3husyn4bdkui8w

At the summit we managed to get one planning session together. We
captured that on etherpad[1], but I’d like to highlight here a few of
the things we talked about working on together in the near term:

-More information around asset dependencies (like clarifying
requirements for Heat templates or Glance images for instance),
potentially just by providing better guidance in what should be in the
description and attributes sections.
-With respect to the assets that are listed in the catalog, there’s a
need to account for tagging, rating/scoring, and a way to have
comments or a forum for each asset so potential users can interact
outside of the gerrit review system.
-Supporting more resource types (Sahara, Trove, Tosca, others)
-Discuss using glance artifact repository as the backend rather than
flat YAML files
-REST API, enable searching/sorting, this would ease native
integration with other projects
-Federated catalog support (top level catalog including contents from
sub-catalogs)
- I’ll be working with the OpenStack infra team to get the server and
CI set up in their environment (though that work will not impact the
catalog as it stands today).

There were a ton of great ideas that came up and it was clear there
was WAY more to discuss than we could accomplish in one short session
at the summit.  I’m looking forward to continuing the conversation
here on the mailing list, on IRC, and in Tokyo as well!

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-app-catalog-plans

-Christopher