[Openstack-operators] Raising the degree of the scandal

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Mon May 18 07:22:19 UTC 2015

I always thought that ebtables was below the stack in the iptables schema - but still part of netfilter - thus should be reasonably fast (I would argue faster than a user space lookup to openvswitchd).  Considering the rules being added are small in number and trivial (on this port allow src/dst mac of blah).  Do you have any performance data showing that its slow?  A quick google search shows nothing relevant :-).  Additionally, libvirt anti-spoofing rules configured via nova using nwfilter uses ebtables to do the anti spoofing rules.  No one seems to complain about the performance of that...

Additionally, some of us don't want to run OVS, so an OVS only solution is effectively imho - crap.  We are actively looking at removing OVS from our environment due to a number of reasons.  So saying if you run neutron and care to have *REAL* network protection - you need to run OVS - seems like a stretch if you aren't using GRE/vxlan tunneling for all of your guests.

I personally agree with George, this stance of "We never said that neutron would provide anti-spoofing on flat networks thus we wont backport this, because it now brings into scope ebtables", seems to be a pretty huge gap in what neutron says it does and the protection it actually provides.  We supply security group rules, but stealing someone else's IP or the gateway that doesn't belong to you - yep that totally cool with us.  It strikes me that neutrons goal to deliver networking is basically two fold. 1.) Provide multi-tenant networking 2.) Make sure tenants cant stomp on each other.  Without number 2 (anti-spoofing) you kinda fail to provide number 1.  Since, flat networks are a 100% supported and viable way of doing tenant networking I would say that this is a bug and should be backported to kilo/juno.

I don't personly buy the new dependency reason, new to neutron - maybe - but not new to people running nova/libvirt.  Ebtables is used by libvirt for nwfilter, assuming an pretty standard libvirt install ebtables should be installed by default.  Additionally, this would have already been a dependency in nova-compute due to anti-spoofing support there.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.