[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] Can we bump MIN_LIBVIRT_VERSION to 1.2.2 in Liberty?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 15 11:28:28 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:51:22AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 02:23:25PM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > The minimum required version of libvirt in the driver is 0.9.11 still [1].
> > We've been gating against 1.2.2 in Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 since Juno.
> >
> > The libvirt distro support matrix is here: [2]
> >
> > Can we safely assume the people aren't going to be running Libvirt compute
> > nodes on RHEL < 7.1 or Ubuntu Precise?
>
> I don't really think so - at the very least Fedora 20 and RHEL 7.0 are still
> actively supported platforms by their vendors, which both have older libvirt
> versions (1.1.3 and 1.1.1 respectively).
>
> I'm not sure whether SUSE team consider any of the 12.x versions to still be
> actively supported platforms or not, likewise which 13.x versions are under
> active support.
>

> > Regarding RHEL, I think this is a safe bet because in Kilo nova dropped
> > python 2.6 support and RHEL > 6 doesn't have py26 so you'd be in trouble
> > running kilo+ nova on RHEL 6.x anyway.
>
> There are add-on repos for RHEL-6 and RHEL-7 that provide newer python
> versions so (py27, various py3x), so it is not unreasonable for people
> to consider sticking with RHEL-6 if that is what their existing deployment
> is based on. Certainly new deployments though I'd expect to be RHEL-7 based.
>
> > There are some workarounds in the code [3] I'd like to see removed by
> > bumping the minimum required version.
>
> Sure, its nice to remove workarounds from a cleanliness POV, but I'm generally
> pretty conservative about doing so, because in the majority of case (while it
> looks ugly) it is not really a significant burden on maintainers to keep it
> around.
>
> This example is really just that. It certainly looks ugly, but we have the
> code there now, it is doing the job for people who have that problem and it
> isn't really having any measurable impact on our ability to maintain the
> libvirt code. Removing this code won't lessen our maintainance burden in
> any way, but it will unquestionably impact our users by removing support for
> the platform they may be currently deployed on.
>
> The reason why we picked 0.9.11 as the current minimum version was that we
> needed to be able to switch over to using libvirt-python from PyPi instead
> of relying on the version that shipped with the distro. 0.9.11 is the min
> version supported by libvirt-python on PyPi. This had significant benefits
> to Nova maintainence, as it our gate jobs deploy libvirt-python from PyPi
> in common with all other python packages we depend on. It also unlocked the
> ability to run libvirt with python3 bindings.  There was some small amount
> of pain for people running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but this was mitigated by the
> fact that Canonical provided the Cloud Archive repositories for that LTS
> version which gave users direct access to new enough libvirt. So in the end
> users were not negatively impacted in any serious way - certainly not by
> enough to outweigh the benefits Nova maintainence saw.

> [...]

One other thing I should have mentioned is that we don't actually have
one single minimum libvirt version. We actually have a couple of different
minimum versions based on either the architecture or the hypervisor.

For example, the Parallels hypervisor support was set to 1.2.12 and
the S/390 support was /supposed/ to have been set to 1.0.4, but I see
the devs failed to actally submit that change so I'll be doing that
shortly.

I think there is a credible argument that we increase the min required
libvirt for LXC, because it requires a pretty new libvirt and kernel
to provide any sensible level of security (ie user namespaces). We're
rather negligent at the moment to let users deploy LXC with older
versions as it is trivial for tenants to escape isolation.

So the current MIN_LIBVIRT_VERSION is really talking about x86 + KVM
combination.

We do a really bad job of making this clear anywhere in our docs for
Nova AFAIK. Likewise we don't make any distinction in our docs about
the version we have tested with, vs the versions we are capable of
running with. This is all critical info to people deploying, so they
have guidance as to how much testing of their specific platform they
should do at deployment time.

Regards,
Daniel