[Openstack-operators] OpenStack 2015.1.0 for Debian Sid and Jessie

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu May 14 21:18:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am pleased to announce the general availability of OpenStack 2015.1.0
(aka Kilo) in Debian unstable (aka Sid) and through the official Debian
backports repository for Debian 8.0 (aka Sid).

Debian 8.0 Jessie just released
===============================
As you may know, Debian 8.0 was released on the 25th of April, just a
few days before OpenStack Kilo (on the 30th of April). Just right after
Debian Jessie got released, OpenStack Kilo was uploaded to unstable, and
slowly migrated the usual way to the new Debian Testing, named Stretch.

As a lot of new packages had to go through the Debian FTP master NEW
queue for review (they check mainly for the copyright / licensing
information, but also if the package is conform to the Debian policy).
I'd like here to publicly thank Paul Tagliamonte from the Debian FTP
team for his prompt work, which allowed Kilo to reach the Debian
repositories just a few days after its release (in fact, Kilo was fully
available in Unstable more than a week ago).

Debian Jessie Backports
=======================
Previously, each release of OpenStack, as a backport for Debian Stable,
was only available through private repositories. This wasn't a
satisfying solution, and we wanted to address it by uploading to the
official Debian backports. And the result is now available: all of
OpenStack Kilo has been uploaded to Debian jessie-backports. If you want
to use these repositories, just add them to your sources.list (note that
the Debian installer proposes to add it by default):

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main

(of course, you can use any Debian mirror, not just the httpredir)

All of the usual OpenStack components are currently available in the
official backports, but there's still some more to come, like for
example Heat, Murano, Trove or Sahara. For Heat, it's because we're
still waiting for python-oslo.versionedobjects 0.1.1-2 to migrate to
Stretch (as a rule: we can't upload to backports unless a package is
already in Testing). For the last 3, I'm not sure if they will be
backported to Jessie. Please provide your feedback and tell the Debian
packaging team if they are important for you in the official
jessie-backports repository, or if Sid is enough. Also, at the time of
writing of this message, Horizon and Designate are still in the
backports FTP master NEW queue (but it should be approved very soon).

Also, I have just uploaded a first version of Barbican (still in the NEW
queue waiting for approval...), and there's a package for Manila that is
currently on the work by a new contributor.

Note on Neutron off-tree drivers
================================
The neutron-lbaas, neutron-fwaas and neutron-vpnaas packages have been
uploaded and are part of Sid. If you need it through jessie-backports,
please just let me know.

All vendor-specific drivers have been separated from Neutron, and are
now available as separate packages. I wrote packages for them all, but
the issue is that most of them wouldn't even build due to failed unit
tests. For most of them, it used to work in the Kilo beta 3 of Neutron
(it's the case for all but 2 of them who were broken at the time), but
they appeared broken with the Kilo final release, as they didn't update
after the Kilo release.

I have repaired some of them, but working on these packages has shown to
be a very frustrating work, as they receive very few updates from
upstream. I do not plan to work much on them unless one of the below
condition:
- My employer needs them
- things are moving forward upstream, and that these unit tests are
repaired in the stackforge repository.

If you are a network hardware vendor and read this, please push for more
maintenance, as it's in a really bad state ATM. You are welcome to get
in touch with me, and I'll be happy to help you to help.

Bug report
If you see any issue in the packages, please do report them to the
Debian bug tracker. Instructions are available here:
https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

Happy installation,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)