[Openstack-operators] chef

JJ Asghar jasghar at chef.io
Thu May 14 20:23:37 UTC 2015

> On May 14, 2015, at 1:21 AM, aishwarya.adyanthaya at accenture.com wrote:
>
> Hi J,
>
> I ran the command 'knife node list' and found the list to be empty while the 'knife client list' command displays chef-validator and chef-webui. It seems like when I was creating the node through  knife openstack server create the node got launched successfully in the dashboard and I'm able to ssh the node but the command gives error as:
>
> Waiting for sshd to host (x.x.x.x).................................................................done
> Doing old-style registration with the validation key at /root/chef-repo/.chef/chef-validator.pem...
> Delete your validation key in order to use your user credentials instead
>
> Connecting to x.x.x.x
> FATAL: Check if --bootstrap-protocol and --image-os-type is correct. connection closed by remote host
> ERROR: Net::SSH::Disconnect: Check if --bootstrap-protocol and --image-os-type is correct. connection closed by remote host
>

> The command I'm using to create the node is:
>
> knife openstack server create -f 2 -I ubuntu_image -a external_id--network-ids alphanumeric_id -S chef_key -N node_name

I’m at a loss here. If this is a Ubuntu box, neither of the —bootstrap-protocol or the —image-os-type should be even checked. This is also failing because the connection was closed, so thats pointing to your vm on the in your OpenStack instance. Do you have any networking oddities between your workstation and this vm and cloud?

Also, i’m hoping that “ubuntu_image” is you scrubbing your UUID, because I’ve seen some issues with using the “easy name” in Juno. I’m pretty sure it was resolved in the 1.0.0 release though.

Actually yeah i don’t know what version of the OpenStack are you running against? Is this a major public cloud or is it in-house?

I’ve personally tested the knife-openstack 1.1.0 against a couple major public clouds, devstack, and the Chef cookbook built OpenStack instance so I know we have a good coverage.

You said you can SSH into the box, that’s good, so also lets take a step back. Can you provision a machine with knife openstack server create? When you do, do you see it pop up in nova list or the horizon dashboard? If so, then we can determine that the creation is working and we can move forward with the network connection and bootstrapping.

In very simple terms the bootstrap literally SSHs into the box, pulls down chef, moves up the validation key and then runs chef-client. If you can SSH to it from the box you run your knife commands from, then there is no reason why this shouldn’t work.

Anyway, this is the best i got via email, i’m curious to see if any of this helps you,
-JJ