[Openstack-operators] Neutron/DVR scalability of one giant single tenant VS multiple tenants

Gustavo Randich gustavo.randich at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:15:05 UTC 2015

Hi!

We are evaluating the migration of our private cloud of several thousand
VMs from multi-host nova-network to neutron/DVR. For historical reasons, we
currently use a single tenant because group administration is made outside
openstack (users don't talk to OS API). The number of compute nodes we have
now is approx. 400, and growing.

My question is:

Srictly regarding the scalability and performance fo the DVR/Neutron
virtual networking components inside compute nodes (OVS virtual switches,
iptables, VXLAN tunnel mesh, etc.), should we mantain this single-tenant /
single-network architecture in Neutron/DVR? Or should we partition our next
cloud into several tenants each corresponding to different groups/verticals
inside the company, and possibly each with their several private networks?

Thanks!