[Openstack-operators] Introducing the Ops Tags Team

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Tue May 12 15:04:51 UTC 2015

Hi all,

By now you should have seen Thierry's "The Way Forward" blog[1], which
describes the problems with having just one binary flag to say whether a
project is 'good' or not (the integrated release), and proposes the tags
system.

The tags system lets us make up a series of labels for each software
project in the OpenStack ecosystem to help people in their decision
making. As Ops, we have a lot of knowledge about what works, and how it
works. We're also in a good position to define what it is our fellow Ops
actually needed to know before they choose to deploy something.

It's my great pleasure to announce the formation of the Ops Tag Team.

Continuing from the initial work done by the user committee and those of
us who made it to Philadelphia[2], the Vancouver summit is the time to
really get this effort ramped up. The team will have a working session
to define the initial set of tags.

There are a range of questions you likely have, and many an effort
needed on scoping this activity to be the most useful it can be. I've
attempted to kick-start some things on the etherpad for that session,
and your edits and tag suggestions there would be appreciated:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-ops-tags

Please do make that etherpad as useful as possible :) The room we have
at the summit is limited in size, and really designed for those who plan
to make ongoing contributions to the activity to do actual work.

Regards,

Tom, on behalf of the User Committee

[1] http://ttx.re/the-way-forward.html
[2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PHL-ops-tags