[Openstack-operators] Multiple vlan ranges on same physical interface [ml2]

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 06:15:00 UTC 2015

If one set of VLANs is for external networks which are created by admins,
why even specify network_vlan_ranges for that set?

For example, even if network_vlan_ranges is 'local:1000:4000', you can
still successfully run the following as an admin:
neutron net-create --provider:network_type=vlan
--provider:physical_network=local --provider:segmentation_id=40 myextnet
--router:external

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 7:32 AM, George Shuklin <george.shuklin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Got a problem: we want to use same physical interface for external
> networks and virtual (tenant) networks. All inside vlans with different
> ranges.
>
> My expected config was:
>
> [ml2]
> type_drivers = vlan
> tenant_network_types = vlan
> [ml2_type_vlan]
> network_vlan_ranges = external:1:100,local:1000:4000
> [ovs]
> bridge_mappings = external:br-ex,local:br-ex
>
> But it does not work:
>
> ERROR neutron.plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_neutron_agent [-] Parsing
> bridge_mappings failed: Value br-ex in mapping: 'gp:br-ex' not unique.
> Agent terminated!
>
> I understand that I can cheat and manually configure bridge pile (br-ex
> and br-loc both plugged to br-real, which linked to physical interface),
> but it looks very fragile.
>
> Is any nicer way to do this? And why ml2 (ovs plugin?) does not allow to
> use mapping from many networks to one bridge?

Kevin Benton