[Openstack-operators] Operating Swift

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Tue Mar 31 07:02:50 UTC 2015

Well this is a big topic, isn't it? :-)

You could fill a book with info like that. Like this book: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033288.do

So with the understanding that anything I say below will be limited by time and space (and is covered in more detail in the book above), here goes...

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:25 PM, Eren Türkay <erent at skyatlas.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've installed swift with 3 storage nodes and 1 proxy node for testing.
> So far everything seems smooth but I have questions regarding to
> operating swift.

Great!!

> The most important thing is how to add a new storage node or proxy node.
> While installing, I copied the files created by ring builder to all of
> the storage nodes.

All that's necessary to distribute is the ring.gz files. You don't have to distribute the .builder files for the cluster operation (but don't lose the builder files!).

Yes. But depending on how much capacity you're adding, you might want to do this gradually. See this post for more info https://swiftstack.com/blog/2012/04/09/swift-capacity-management/

> If so, should I restart all the swift
> services so that they read the ring.

The swift processes will automatically detect and reload new rings. For configs, you'll have to reload or restart.

> Is there a reload functionality in
> swift processes?

Yes. Use `swift-init`. You can restart, reload, start, and stop Swift processes with it.

> Is there a guide for operating swift cluster? I would
> be really happy if there is document explaining what to do when storage
> node dies, how the data is replicated in swift, and how to add new
> storage/proxy nodes to the cluser.

Definitely check the book above. Here's a few links with some more info:

http://swift.openstack.org/
https://swiftstack.com/openstack-swift/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUvfGKhaMo (a talk I gave about some failure handing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAEU0Ld-GIU (a talk I gave that's an intro to swift)

> The second one is the hardware requirements for proxy and load balancer
> services. Is there a rule of thumb, or best practice for choosing server
> hardware for storage and proxy node. I've read that proxy node is
> network and CPU intensive but as I don't have traffic, I don't know
> which specification I should choose (for example 8 CPU, 32GB ram, etc).

This depends a lot on your use case. All I can say is test it and see what works best for you. Swift doesn't need custom hardware, and you can upgrade a live cluster with no client downtime (https://swiftstack.com/blog/2013/12/20/upgrade-openstack-swift-no-downtime/), so use what you have. Use what works.

--John