[Openstack-operators] What are people using for configuration management? Puppet? Chef? Other?

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Thu Mar 26 17:09:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-26 12:40 PM, Forrest Flagg wrote:

> Getting ready to install a Juno or Kilo cloud and was wondering what
> people are using for configuration management to deploy openstack.  Are
> you using Puppet, Chef, something else?  What was the decision process
> for making your choice?

People, who answered the user survey [1], are mainly using Puppet.

We choose Puppet for various reasons:
- Previous experience with Puppet
- About 2 years ago, we found ready made puppet modules for OpenStack
(and massively contributed back to them)

The challenge with vanilla Puppet modules for OpenStack on StackForge is
the lack of turn-key composition layer, i.e., there is no manifest you
can use to install an all-in-one or specialized controller. You can
however found one maintained by PuppetLabs. [2]

We had to build our own with lot of site specific configurations based
architecture and scalability reasons. You might end up doing the same if
you choose to use Puppet. It's not an easy task if you are not familiar
with Puppet. TBH, I don't know how easy/hard it is with other CMS so I
can't tell if Puppet is better or worst than Chef, Ansible, etc.

On the other hand, we are exploring Ansible to fulfill the lack of
proper inter-nodes orchestration in Puppet and to also, ironically,
bootstrap our puppetmaster.

Ansible is internally getting traction since you don't need an agent
running on the node and requiring access to a centralized puppetmaster.
What's great, is that you can also mix and match: you can choose to not
run the Puppet agent and use Ansible to trigger (push) Puppet runs instead.

[1]
http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-user-survey-insights-november-2014
[2] https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-openstack

--