[Openstack-operators] What are people using for configuration management? Puppet? Chef? Other?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Mar 26 17:07:00 UTC 2015

I use Puppet because that's what the rest of my infrastructure was
built on and it worked.  When I was at the decision point (2-3yrs ago)
for a replacement to CFEngine2 for site wide configuration management
Puppet and Chef were the only serious contenders and seemed equivalent
enough, deciding factor was a time out bug in Chef's Ohai service when
dealing with our insanely large passwd and group files.

OpenStack specifically I think most people go with either what hey
have or what they know best. The biannual user survey track popularity
of config management systems in the community
http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-user-survey-insights-november-2014
top three all have a decent following and support.  In order they are
Puppet, Chef, and Ansible, for whatever that's worth.

There's alse some links to public repos of production config
management setups over here:
https://github.com/osops/example-configs/blob/master/README.md,
they're not really explained in any way but they are real not just
examples.

My view of the state of Puppet's openstack modules is they have wide
use and an active (but small) development community.  Its not perfect
but it's imperfections are generally well understood and the
feature/project coverage is pretty good.

HTH,
-Jon