[Openstack-operators] Hyper-converged OpenStack with Ceph

Jesse Keating jlk at bluebox.net
Thu Mar 19 16:20:21 UTC 2015

On 3/19/15 9:08 AM, Jared Cook wrote:
> Hi, I'm starting to see a number of vendors push hyper-converged
> OpenStack solutions where compute and Ceph OSD nodes are one in the
> same.  In addition, Ceph monitors are placed on OpenStack controller
> nodes in these architectures.
>
> Recommendations I have read in the past have been to keep these things
> separate, but some vendors are now saying that this actually works out
> OK in practice.
>
> The biggest concern I have is that the compute node functions will
> compete with Ceph functions, and one over utilized node will slow down
> the entire Ceph cluster, which will slow down the entire cloud.  Is this
> an unfounded concern?
>
> Does anyone have experience running in this mode?  Experience at scale?

Not CEPH related, but it's a known tradeoff that compute resource on
control nodes can cause resource competition. This is a tradeoff for the
total cost of the cluster and the expected use case. If the use case
plans to scale out to many compute nodes, we suggest upgrading to
dedicated control nodes. This is higher cost, but somewhat necessary for
matching performance to capacity.

We may start small, but we can scale up to match the (growing) needs.

--
-jlk