[Openstack-operators] Example configs

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Mon Mar 16 16:08:37 UTC 2015

Hi All,

One of the requests that's come up a few times around here has been
for 'real' config example.

During the PHL Ops Midccyle we finally mad ea place to put them:
https://github.com/osops/example-configs

And over the past couple days I pushed up the configs from MIT CSAIL's
deploy.  There's a delightful real world mess, but there you go.

This can also serve as a meta example for how to organize example
configs, so if anyone has comments on the structure of how I put them
up now is probably a good time to discuss so that when others (if
there are others who can do this) put their configs on line the format
is both good and consistent.

The sanitization process is hairy...

I rgrep'ed through for things like 'password','token','connection' (to
get the DB connection strings) and probably a couple other things but
missed 'auth_encryption_key' in the Heat config.  Thankfully we're not
yet big heat users so changing this wasn't a disaster, and also
reminded me to switch to using trusts rather than the more than
slightly scary password deferred_auth_method...

So I think this will get all the bits you need to redact (and quite a
bit more but still less than looking at every line of every file):

rgrep -e key -e token -e encryption -e password

(note there's still a glance-cache.conf:swift_store_key in my configs
but it's an unused default)

If anyone finds things I left your PLEASE let me know (preferably
directly), hopefully I won't spend the rest of my life switching keys
and passwords :)

-Jon