[Openstack-operators] Packaging with fpm

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Mar 4 17:18:11 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Mathieu Gagné's message of 2015-03-04 08:31:45 -0800:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently experimenting with fpm.
>
> I learned that fpm does not generate the files needed to upload your new
> package to an APT repository. Since the package type built by fpm is
> binary, that file would be the .changes control file.
>
> This bothers me a lot because my current workflow looks like this:
> 1) Fork Ubuntu Cloud Archive OpenStack source packages
> 2) Apply custom patches using quilt [1]
> 3) Build source and binary packages using standard dpkg tools
> 4) Upload source and binary packages to private APT repository with dput
> 5) Install new packages
>
> (repeat steps 2-4 until a new upstream release is available)
>
> While I didn't test fpm against OpenStack packages, I did test it with
> other internal projects. I faced the same challenges and came to similar
> conclusions:
>
> If I used fpm instead, step 4 would fail because there is no .changes
> control file required by dput to upload to APT.
>
> This raises the question:
>
> How are people (using fpm) managing and uploading their deb packages for
> distribution? APT? Maven? Pulp? Black magic?
>
> I really like APT repositories and would like to continue using them for
> the time being.

I'm impressed you took the time to setup dput!

You really only need to run apt-ftparchive on a directory full of debs:

apt-ftparchive packages path/to/your/debs | gzip > Packages.gz

You can also use reprepro, which is somewhat handy for combining a
remote repo with locally built debs:

http://mirrorer.alioth.debian.org/