[Openstack-operators] Image Based Backups

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Mon Jun 29 20:48:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Brendan Johnson <bjohnson at paragusit.com> wrote:
> What are people using to perform image based backups of Windows and Linux VMs in OpenStack?  I am using KVM as the hypervisor, Ceph for block storage and Swift for object storage.  I know Cinder can backup volumes that are not in use (at least in Juno, that may have changed in Kilo).   I am looking for an image backup solution that allow the backup of online KVM VMs.  Integration with OpenStack would be nice but isn't a must.

Well outside OpenStack it rather depends on your backend...

I'm not actually doing this so take it for what it's worth, but a
possible workflow in OpenStack would be to create a Cinder 'snapshot'
this does work live though anything you do live has some possibility
of inconsistency, you'll get a copy that will seem 'crashed' similar
to recovering from a sudden power failure.

Obviously snapshot is different than backup, so potentially you could
make the snapshot into a full volume, which would be a detached copy,
and use that as the backup source...

It's a thought any way,
-Jon