[Openstack-operators] openstack-announce gets in Junk/SPAM mail @outlook.com

JJ Asghar jasghar at chef.io
Thu Jun 25 16:14:23 UTC 2015

> On Jun 24, 2015, at 7:00 AM, Lukas Lehner <weblehner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I subscribed to openstack-announce with my Microsoft account. Most (90%) of the mails go to Junk/SPAM folder.
>
> I clicked about 20 times the button "not junk". But still the same.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/ZI02VGx.png <http://i.imgur.com/ZI02VGx.png>
>
> There is a good reason for conspiracy. Microsoft is with Azure a competitor.

I’ll bite.

So it turns out Davanum sent all those announce emails all within a couple mins if not seconds. I’m betting Outlook.com <http://outlook.com/> saw the  flood of email and on the MTA level make it as SPAM. IIRC you can do something just like that in Exim+SpamAssassin[1] so it’s not a stretch to think that Outlook.com’s MTAs could do the same.

[1]: http://serverfault.com/a/548554/208322 <http://serverfault.com/a/548554/208322>

-J