[Openstack-operators] Upcoming changes to server version numbering for Liberty

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Jun 16 20:06:55 UTC 2015

As we approach the Liberty-1 milestone, we are applying the changes to
server versions discussed at the summit and on the mailing list [1][2].

The tl;dr version is that we are switching from date-based versioning
to SemVer (semantic versioning [3]). This will result in version
numbers appearing to go backwards. Distros will correct this by
incrementing the "epoch" field of the version number, which is
normally invisible. Anyone doing CI/CD from packages they build
themselves may need to take similar action before/after this change
to ensure that upgrades occur smoothly.

If you want to monitor the patch for your favorite project to know when
the change will happen, they are all set up in a gerrit topic
"semver-releases" [4] to make them easy to find.

Please reply to the thread on the -dev mailing list with any questions
to keep the discussion in one place.

Doug

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-May/065211.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/thread.html#65278