[Openstack-operators] [Glance] [glance_store] Feedback requested from users of the HTTP Store

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Jun 12 02:31:39 UTC 2015

Hey all,

For the Liberty development cycle, I've proposed a specification for a
refactor of Glance's HTTP Store - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189537/.

In short, currently Glance's HTTP Store driver does not verify HTTPS
connections. This allows for a couple of attacks of varying severity. We
had a short discussion in our meeting yesterday
(http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/glance/2015/glance.2015-06-11-14.0
0.log.html) and one person suggested that the new configuration options
being proposed should default to insecure. If we decide to make them
insecure as a default this will make upgrades much easier on operators but
will mean that protection against the attacks described will be opt-in, at
least for one cycle.

So, I'm asking for your feedback because this is really intended to
benefit you.

Are you using the HTTP store?

Are you serving your images over HTTPS?

Would you be in favor of turning HTTPS verification on by default? Why or
why not?

Cheers,
Ian