[Openstack-operators] SSH to a VM instance created

Eren Türkay erent at skyatlas.com
Thu Jun 11 13:23:35 UTC 2015

On 11-06-2015 12:32, Abhishek Talwar wrote:
> Now I want to SSH the VM's created and install some application on it. My doubit
> is how to SSH the VM's as I don't have a dashboard and therefore don't have a
> console for the VM's created.

Hello,

Normally, you add an ssh key and instruct VM to boot with that SSH key. When VM
is booted, cloud-init gets the metadata information about the vm (including the
SSH key you specify) add the ssh key to the user's .ssh/authorized_keys file.
You can look at the page below for managing ssh key via CLI tools. It would be
easier for you to manage them if you had dashboard. I would suggest you to
install it. It's as easy as installing other components of Openstack and it
makes management easier.

http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/manage-ssh-key-pairs-for-cloud-servers-with-python-novaclient

Please make sure that your networking components are working properly and you
have metadata proxy running. Otherwise, the VM will not be able to get your ssh
key and it will boot with empty ssh key. The usernames for the cloud images can
vary. For ubuntu, you need to login as "ubuntu" user, not "root".

Regards,

--
Eren Türkay, System Administrator
https://skyatlas.com/ | +90 850 885 0357

Yildiz Teknik Universitesi Davutpasa Kampusu
Teknopark Bolgesi, D2 Blok No:107
Esenler, Istanbul Pk.34220