[Openstack-operators] [kolla] Inviting Operators to participate in the specification of a new deployment tool

Kevin Carter kevin.carter at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jun 8 14:28:51 UTC 2015

Just to chime in here,

I don't think its fair to say that we're not following "best practices" in OSAD though I will agree that OSAD is not following "Dockers best practices".​ We're using containers (LXC) for the purpose of network and service separation as well as enabling better usage of system resources while providing a deployment scale. We have the ability to deploy in container or on baremetal and have chosen to deploy services like Nova Compute and Swift Container services on physical hosts because it makes better sense to allow a service

we are following administrative best practices in terms of Linux and OpenStack operational expertise. The eithre ethos of LXC is to treat them containers like light weight virtual machines the idea that containers are synonymous with micro-services is a misnomer and a virtue perpetrated by the greater docker community.

We are deploying only on Ubuntu 14.04 at the moment however we're building everything from the upstream OpenStack source as a Python wheel which is a process that is platform agnostic. If RHEL support was something deployers are really wanting within the OSAD deployment tooling then we should talk about it at our community meeting[1] to get some details hammered out. It shouldn't be a major forklift as there's already interest in other distros as seen within our current pending specs with the desire to add Gentoo support[2].

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/openstack-ansible

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/181955/

--

Kevin Carter