[Openstack-operators] [kolla] Inviting Operators to participate in the specification of a new deployment tool

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Jun 7 23:01:16 UTC 2015

From: Craig Tracey <craig at craigtracey.com<mailto:craig at craigtracey.com>>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM
To: James Denton <james.denton at rackspace.com<mailto:james.denton at rackspace.com>>
Cc: Steven Dake <stdake at cisco.com<mailto:stdake at cisco.com>>, "openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] [kolla] Inviting Operators to participate in the specification of a new deployment tool

+1

I would much rather see this be a feature of any one of the vast number of deployment tools vs. creating yet another CM repo.

Craig,

Thanks for the feedback.  I deeply respect the opinion of Operators.  I do believe different communities of people will lead to different solutions that solve similar problems.  Not everyone wants a black car.

I think OSAD is great tech, but doesn’t implement best practices.  For example, OSAD treats containers as virtual machines and doesn’t install all software in containers but only some software.  If there was one difference between our two implementation approaches, it is Kolla’s focus on best practices of the technology we depend on e.g. [1].

Hope that helps,
-steve

[1] http://sdake.io/2015/04/13/preserving-contaner-properties-via-volume-mounts/