[Openstack-operators] [Tags] Tags Team Repo & our first tags!

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Jun 5 19:06:22 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2015-06-05 11:34:02 -0700:

> But if there is one package out of all of the OS options, does that make true or false ? Or do we have a rule that says a 1 means that at least CentOS and Ubuntu are packaged ?
>
> I remain to be convinced that a 0 or 1 can be achieved within the constraints that we need something which is useful for the operators rather than mathematically correct.
>
> Let’s not forget the target audience for the Ops tags.

Wouldn't it make sense that having coarse grained tags would help the
rather busy operator more than a pile of information that has to be
processed and inserted into an already very complex model? Nobody
is saying tags can't find a position on a sliding scale, like
'packaged-in-ubuntu' or 'tested-on-rhel' seems like two tags that would
be relevant to ubuntu or rhel users, and are entirely binary.

Data from a real analysis is interesting, but what I really want when
evaluating options to spend my time on is "Is the community with me?"
If I can't find any tags that define what I'm trying to do, then the
answer is "probably not". If I grab the ubuntu packages of project X and
they aren't very high quality, I think the tag helps me to know that
it's worth it to report bugs and plow through the problems, because
the community is expressing very clearly "We want this to be packaged
in Ubuntu."

Meanwhie saying something is a 74 on the packaged scale in Ubuntu is a)
inaccurate the moment something changes, and b) very confusing to anybody
who doesn't know what that scale actually means.