[Openstack-operators] Collaborative Logstash filter development

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:50:53 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

During the summit at Vancouver and at time both prior and after there has
been expressed interest in more collaborative development of Logstash
filters in an OpenStack environment.

Current examples which I'm aware of include:
 - https://github.com/godaddy/openstack-logstash
 - https://github.com/osops/tools-logging
 - http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/logstash.html
 -
https://github.com/rcbops/rpc-extras/tree/master/rpcd/playbooks/roles/logstash/templates

There was some discussion in the Operators track at the design summit about
setting up a collaborative location, but to my knowledge there has been no
firm decision about it.

It is plausible that we could put together a repository which is purely
focused on the filters (not the input/output sections) and which could be
consumed by downstream users (eg: openstack-infra). To do this, however,
will require a group of interested parties to agree on how this will be
done. Considering that it will likely be accepted into the Big Tent it will
likely also require a PTL and core reviewing team.

We (Rackspace Private Cloud) are happy to seed initial configurations and
work with a team of other parties to put together a standardised set of
filters which are usable and useful. When agreed that the filters are ready
we will also work with openstack-infra to implement the filters into
logstash.openstack.org.

How would the Operator community like to proceed with this? Shall we
arrange some sort of IRC discussion to figure out how best to organise this
and to identify next steps?

--
Jesse Pretorius
IRC: odyssey4me