[Openstack-operators] Compressed Images

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Wed Jul 29 19:38:25 UTC 2015

Hello,

In the "Create An Image" page of Horizon, it says the following:

Currently only images available via an HTTP URL are supported. The image
location must be accessible to the Image Service. Compressed image binaries
are supported (.zip and .tar.gz.)

Either I have something misconfigured, the text does not apply to *all*
images, or the text is wrong.

If I upload a QCOW2 image that has been zipped, gzip'd, or tar'd and
gzip'd, the image is saved but instances fail to boot because of "no
bootable device".

Does Glance need configured a certain way to accept compressed files? Is
there something on Horizon's side that needs configured? Do I need to use a
different disk format other than QCOW2 when creating the image?

Thanks,
Joe