[Openstack-operators] Ceph backed 'boot from volume' downloading image

Josh Durgin jdurgin at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 18:31:38 UTC 2015

Hi Caius,

This has existed in the rbd cinder driver since volume-to-image was added:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/kilo/cinder/volume/drivers/rbd.py#L823

Cinder falls back to doing the full copy if glance doesn't report the
location, or it's not marked as raw format.

If glance doesn't have show_image_direct_url = True, or cinder doesn't
have glance_api_version = 2, cinder won't be able to do the clone. See

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-openstack/#configure-openstack-to-use-ceph

for more details.

Josh