[Openstack-operators] [puppet] module dependencies and different openstack versions

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:32:25 UTC 2015

We currently use our own custom puppet modules to deploy openstack, I have been looking into the official openstack modules and have a few barriers to switching.

We are looking at doing this at a project at a time but the modules have a lot of dependencies. Eg. they all depend on the keystone module and try to do things in keystone suck as create users, service endpoints etc.

This is a pain as I don’t want it to mess with keystone (for one we don’t support setting endpoints via an API) but also we don’t want to move to the official keystone module at the same time. We have some custom keystone stuff which means we’ll may never move to the official keystone puppet module.

The neutron module pulls in the vswitch module but we don’t use vswitch and it doesn’t seem to be a requirement of the module so maybe doesn’t need to be in metadata dependencies?

It looks as if all the openstack puppet modules are designed to all be used at once? Does anyone else have these kind of issues? It would be great if eg. the neutron module would just manage neutron and not try and do things in nova, keystone, mysql etc.

The other issue we have is that we have different services in openstack running different versions. Currently we have Kilo, Juno and Icehouse versions of different bits in the same cloud. It seems as if the puppet modules are designed just to manage one openstack version? Is there any thoughts on making it support different versions at the same time? Does this work?

Thanks,
Sam