[Openstack-operators] Outbound and inbound external access for projects

Kevin Bringard (kevinbri) kevinbri at cisco.com
Wed Jul 15 15:42:59 UTC 2015

You don't need "per project vlans" for inbound and outbound access. Public
Ips only need a single VLAN between the logical routers
(net-hosts/l3-agent hosts) and their next hop... It's the internal
networks which require multiple VLANs if you wish to do such a thing, and
those VLANs are only necessary on your internal switches. Alternatively
you can use GRE or STT or some other segregation method and avoid the VLAN
cap altogether (on internal networks).

Basically, the flow looks like so:

Internet -> Floating IP (hosted on your logical router host... All a
single "public VLAN") -> NAT translation to internal tenant subnet (and
tagged with the "internal OVS VLAN" -> VLAN translation flow (if it needs
to go to the wire) tags the packet with the VLAN assigned to the tenant's
subnet (or goes over the requisite GRE tunnel) -> ...

It's kind of complicated, I know, but hopefully that helps some? Or
perhaps I just misunderstood your scenario/question, which is also
entirely possible :-D