[Openstack-operators] DB archive deleted rows

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jul 10 19:54:26 UTC 2015

On 10/2/2014 9:51 AM, Simon McCartney wrote:
> We're using the exceptionally crude scripts
> here: https://gist.github.com/8b90b0b913df9f679d16
> & https://gist.github.com/efbb3b55bffd5bd41a42 (this is on a Grizzly
> environment)
>
> if you try the archive script & it fails, it should tell you what record
> in what table failed (we had to clean up a few fixed_ip table entries by
> hand to clear some dangling FKs)
>
> Simon.
> --
> Simon McCartney
> "If not me, who? If not now, when?"
> +447710836915 <tel://+447710836915>
>
> On 2 October 2014 at 15:18:32, Belmiro Moreira
> (moreira.belmiro.email.lists at gmail.com
> <mailto:moreira.belmiro.email.lists at gmail.com>) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> our nova DBs are growing rapidly and it's time to start pruning them...
>>
>> I'm trying the "archive deleted rows" however is not working and I'm
>> getting the following
>> warning in the logs: "IntegrityError detected when archiving table"
>> Searching about this problem I found the bug
>> "https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1183523"
>> which, if I understood correctly, means this functionality is broken
>> for a while...
>>
>> How are other deployments dealing with growing DBs?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Belmiro

Heh, very timely comment on dangling FKeys in the fixed_ips table, we're
discussing that in a spec which proposes adding a script in the nova
tree to do the deleted instance purge work [1].

I didn't have fixed_ips in the whitelist of tables to purge because
technically when deleting an instance and using nova-network, we should
be disassociating the instance from the fixed_ip in the database which
removes the FKey constraint issue, but if there are bugs in that
teardown path in nova-network and the disassociation didn't happen, but
the instance is marked as deleted, we'll have problems during archive/purge.

Can you comment on which version of nova you were hitting this issue
with?  Grizzly?  Is it still an issue?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200224/

Matt Riedemann