[Openstack-operators] OSAD for RHEL

John Dewey john at dewey.ws
Thu Jul 9 04:54:16 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM, Adam Young wrote:

> On 07/07/2015 05:55 PM, Kris G. Lindgren wrote:
> > +1 on RHEL support. I have some interest in moving away from packages and
> > am interested in the OSAD tooling as well.
> >

> I would not recommend an approach targetting RHEL that does not use
> packages.
>
> OSAD support for RHEL using packages would be an outstanding tool.
>
> Which way are you planning on taking it?
IMO - registering the systems with subscription manager or pointing to in house yum repos should be included as part of system bootstrapping, and not a part of OSAD.  OSAD should simply install the specific packages for the alternate distro.

Might also be a good time to abstract the system packaging module into a higher level one which handles `yum` or `apt` behind the scenes.    We can then manage the list of packages per distro[1].  Throwing this out as an idea vs copy-paste every apt with a yum section.

[1] https://gist.github.com/retr0h/dd4cbd27829a3095f37a