[Openstack-operators] [nova] disk I/O perfomance

Warren Wang warren at wangspeed.com
Wed Jul 8 14:33:18 UTC 2015

The only time we saw major performance issues with ephemeral (we're using
SSDs in RAID 0) was when we ran fio against a sparse file. It sounds like
you ran it against a properly filled file though, and it looks like you're
on a single spinning drive, based on the fio numbers. Can you confirm?
Also, what version of qemu are you running, and can you check if you have
iothread enabled? "qemu-system-x86_64 -device virtio-blk-device,help"
should show iothread somewhere. One other thing I can think of, did you
specify directIO in your fio run?

I notice you have the balloon driver on. Have you had used it in a
production environment that neared full? Curious what the feedback is here.

Warren

Warren