[Openstack-operators] Enable Qemu Agent When Booting from a Volume (rather than directly from an image)

Brendan Johnson bjohnson at paragusit.com
Mon Jul 6 20:32:21 UTC 2015

I have a Windows 2012 r2 images with the qemu agent installed and the image property hw_qemu_guest_agent=yes set.    When I boot a new instances directly from the image Libvirt launches the instance with -chardev and -device switches that create qemu agent socket.    However if I create a volume from the Windows 2012 R2 image and then boot from the volume libvirt doesn't create the the qemu agent socket.

Is anyone aware of a way to enable the qemu agent when booting from a volume?   I want to use the qemu agent to ensure volumes are in a consistent state when performing a snapshot.

Brendan Johnson

Director of Engineering and Product Research
ParagusIT